The Best Homemade Soup Recipes
The minute the weather turns chilly in the fall, I instantly declare it “soup season”, which happens to be my favorite season of all! Honestly, I think I’ve had soup at least five days a week since October and this is not an exaggeration. We typically make a new batch once a week and I eat the leftovers daily for lunch. Obviously, my love for homemade soup runs deep. So when I say that this creamy chicken noodle soup recipe is my favorite of all, you know I mean business!
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
This creamy chicken noodle soup has everything you could possibly want…shredded chicken, loads of healthy vegetables, yummy noodles, tasty spices, and a combination of chicken broth, bone broth, and coconut milk for the perfect broth. It’s like eating comfort from a bowl and feeling zero guilt about it because it is as healthy as it is delicious! It was originally inspired by the Olive Garden Chicken and Gnocchi Soup that I loved as a child, but transformed into a healthier version and one that is allergen-friendly. It really is one of my favorite creations from Chef Brenty (my husband!)
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
When I discovered Millie and I had a dairy intolerance a few years ago, I was worried my meals would be significantly less delicious, but I was completely wrong. This creamy chicken noodle soup is completely dairy-free and gluten-free and I promise you it tastes no different than a “regular” creamy chicken noodle soup, it might even be better! We use full-fat coconut milk in place of heavy cream to make it “creamy” and dairy-free and rice noodles in place of regular noodles to keep it gluten-free. You can easily sub these items and use heavy cream and regular egg or homestyle noodles in the soup if you aren’t worried about food allergens and it will be delicious as well!
Healthy Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
We love enjoying this healthy creamy chicken noodle soup with homemade sourdough bread or homemade crackers. We also often pair it with a grilled cheese sandwich because there really is no better combo than homemade soup and a grilled cheese (Millie and I can tolerate goat’s cheese products on the sandwich). If you’re looking to add a little something extra, we have also subbed the noddles with homemade sweet potato gnocchi and although this step takes a little extra work, it is so, so good!
I’m curious, do you love homemade soups as much as I do? Do you prefer creamy chicken noodle soup or regular chicken noodle soup? Or maybe you have another favorite? I’d love to hear what your favorite homemade soup recipe is! And if you try out my creamy chicken noodle soup recipe please let me know by leaving a comment and rating below. It helps others learn more about the recipe as well!
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup (Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finley minced
- ½ tsp sage (can sub poultry seasoning)
- ½ onion, chopped (can sub 1 tsp onion powder)
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 c chicken broth
- 3 c chicken bone broth (can replace with additional chicken broth if you don't have bone broth)
- 13 oz full-fat coconut milk
- 1 c shredded chicken (pre-cooked chicken, not raw)
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 1 ½ c egg noodles or homestyle noodles (gluten-free if needed)
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, and onion and cook another 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic, sage, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Pour in the broths and coconut milk and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the noodles and cook until tender, around 15-20 minutes. Reduce heat and add the cooked chicken and spinach. Cook for another 5-10 minutes. Taste, and add salt and/or pepper if needed. At this point, the soup can also simmer on low for up to 4-6 hours.
- Serve warm with fresh bread. Once cooled, you can store leftovers in the refrigerator for 5 days or in the freezer for 3 months.